Read > Lead > Achieve
For more than 100 years, Pi Beta Phi has believed in the power of reading. Read > Lead > Achieve® is Pi Beta Phi's philanthropic effort, which inspires a lifelong love of reading that can unlock true potential creating a more literate and productive society. It is easy to get involved in Pi Beta Phi's Read > Lead > Achieve reading initiatives. Our charge is for each and every Pi Beta Phi to find a way they can participate, donate or advocate for Read > Lead > Achieve!
Pi Phi's international Read > Lead > Achieve initiatives include the following:
- Fraternity Day of Service - Pi Beta Phi's international day of literacy-related service celebrated in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday.
- Champions are Readers ® Pi Beta Phi's unique reading enrichment program for students in prekindergarten through third grade.
- The Literacy Advocacy Project - an advocacy training program presented by Pi Beta Phi in partnership with the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy.
- Arrow in the Arctic - Pi Phi’s Canadian philanthropy, Arrow in the Arctic, supports reading in Canada’s Northern library systems: the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Read > Lead > Achieve Month - Throughout the month of September, Pi Beta Phi is dedicated to raising awareness for Read > Lead > Achieve!
HOW AZ ALPHA SUPPORTS READ > LEAD > ACHIEVE
- Pi Phi Pizookie: In the Fall, our chapter holds an event where we sell tickets to purchase warm cookies and ice cream on a Thursday night in the semester. Each member attends her shift where she can dance, eat the delicious pizookies, and enjoy time spent with her friends that come to the event. We also hold Pie a Pi Phi in combination with Pi Phi Pizookie where attendees can purchase a whipped cream pie to pie their favorite Pi Phi! The night is a super fun fundraiser and more importantly, supports an important cause!
- Pi Phi Gives You Wings: In the Spring, our chapter holds a fundraiser where we sell tickets to purchase chicken wings. This event is in the same format as Pi Phi Pizookie, and is just as fun! Spending time with your sisters, members of the University of Arizona's community, and raising money for Read > Lead > Achieve is unmatched!
- Literacy Month (September): Last year, for the first time, we held a book drive among the IFC chapters on campus. For the winning chapter, we held a special date dash! We were able to raise thousands of books which we have donated to schools around Tucson and to the Tucson Festival of Books.
- Tucson Festival of Books: Each year Tucson holds one of the biggest book festivals in the world! Famous authors and people from all over travel to Tucson to attend the festival. Our chapter was the only student-run sponsor of the event in 2019! We are able to inspire a love of reading in people from all over and donate books/resources to the Tucson community.